10K Team Race
We have a new spin on the relay race at the United States Air Force Marathon. Over the years, we’ve received a large amount of feedback on the relay race causing us to think maybe we could manage the race better. So this year we have introduced the 10K Team Race in place of the Marathon Relay event. No more waiting for buses, searching for teammates on the course (which always causes congestion) or collecting money from other team members. We’ve listened and are excited to give you the scoop to pass along to your teammates. To make it easier, we gathered some frequently asked questions for your review.
Q: I enjoy the team concept and uniqueness of the relay; will there be something to replace it?
A: Yes, the 10K (6.2 miles) team race is being run in lieu of the 4-person Marathon relay. Teams will consist of four members and will each run 6.2 miles. The race will begin at 8:30 am on September 20, 2008 at the historic National Museum of the United States Air Force grounds. All team members will start the race together and finish at the same location.
Q: What are the team categories? How are winners determined, and what are the awards?
A: The winning times will be determined by adding the four team member chip times. The teams with the lowest times in each of the below categories will receive awards. Your team will choose the category you would like to compete in when registering.
- Military Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd (All Active Duty)
- Men’s Open 1st, 2nd & 3rd (All Men)
- Women’s Open 1st, 2nd & 3rd (All Women)
- Master Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd (All Over 40)
- Coed Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd (Any combination of Males & Females)
- ROTC Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd (University or High School)
- Collegiate Team 1st, 2nd, 3rd (College Students from a single University)
Q: How does my 10K Team register?
A: First, the 10K Team Captain will go online to www.usafmarathon.com to create a 10K Team. After the Team Captain has created the 10K Team online, other team members may complete the online registration.
Team Captains: There are two fees associated with this race; the individual registration fee, and the fee for registering a team. Teams are easily created by selecting “10K Run -Start a Team”. You must have an established Team Name to enter your team. After the team is created, each member must go online and register for themselves under “Search/Join your existing team”. The Team Captain is required to pay the “10K Team registration” fee as well as his/her own individual registration fee at this time.
10K Team Participants: Registration allows each team member to complete the online registration and pay the individual portion of the entry fee on his or her own! Before this can happen, Team Captains must create the team name online through the registration page. After the team is created, team members can click on “Search/Join your existing team” and proceed with registration.
Q: Where is the 10K race run?
A: The 10k Race will start and finish at the National Museum of the United States Air Force. The 6.2 mile course will take place within Wright-Patterson Air Force Base's Area B, where runners will get to see historic buildings as well as facilities housing cutting-edge research and technology. The last mile of the race will pass a replica of the Wright Flyer, National Museum of the U.S. Air Force Presidential Hangar and finish among several historic aircraft static displays.
Q: My teammate is unable to run; can we replace a member?
A: Yes, if a registered team member is not able to run the 10K Team event we ask the former and new member fill out a 10K Team Member Change Form. The form will require two signatures: one from the former member, giving permission for the new member to run in their place, and one from the new member for liability reasons. Please make the change as soon as possible. The form must be faxed to (937) 656-1000 by 3:00 pm EST on August 29, 2008. As with all of the races, we will not offer refunds or transfer a registration to another person. After August 29, all changes will be made at the Sports and Fitness Expo and a $10.00 fee will be assessed. Do not send or fax your 10K Team Member Change form after August 29, 2008. To speed up the process at the expo, we ask that you print and fill out the form before you arrive. It is the team members’ responsibility to check online and confirm the change has been completed.
Q: What does each member of the 10K team receive?
A: Each team member will experience the thrill of running past historic aircraft before crossing the finish line where an Air Force Senior leader will offer congratulations and a unique finisher’s medal. The entire team can celebrate together in the runner festival tent with great food and entertainment. All team members receive a commemorative t-shirt, patch, towel, featuring the F-22 Raptor, and goodie bag. Awards will be announced at 10:30 a.m.
Start your training now and don’t forget to register early and online for the best savings. Start Your Training!
CATEGORIES OF TEAM COMPETITION
- Coed (at least one team member from each sex)
- Men's Open (all males)
- Women's Open (all females)
- Masters (all members must be at least 40 years old on race day)
- ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps)
- Military (all members must be on active duty, reserve, or National Guard status, in the U.S. or a foreign military)
- Collegiate (students from the same university or college)
For security reasons, we ask that runners make every effort to pick up their own race packets at the Sports and Fitness Expo. A picture ID is required and we suggest you bring your runner registration confirmation.
Runners who are not able to pick up their packets in person must make arrangements for a representative to pick up their packets. Your representative must present a copy of your photo ID and a signed authorization from you in order to claim your race packet, goodie bag, and chip timing device.
Map of Race
Directions to Start Line (National Museum of the United States Air Force)
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM THE EAST
- Those coming from the east on I-70 should exit at I-675 South (exit 44A). Travel to Exit 15 (Col. Glenn Hwy). As you exit, stay in the right-hand lane. At the end of the Colonel Glenn Highway exit, turn right at the traffic light to Col. Glenn Highway. Travel down the road to light at corner of Spinning Road and Colonel Glenn Highway. The gate is to the right.
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM THE WEST
- Those coming from the west on I-70 should merge onto I-75S (exit 33A) towards Dayton. Travel 8.5 miles, then merge onto US-35 E (exit 52B) toward Xenia. Travel approximately 5 miles on US-35 to Woodman Drive exit; turn left onto Woodman Drive. Travel on Woodman for approximately 1.5 miles, turning right at the fourth light at Airway Drive. Travel down the road staying on the left side of the road; turn left at light to the Spinning Road Gate.
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM THE NORTH
- Those coming from the north on I-75 should merge onto US-35 E (exit 52B) toward Xenia. Travel approximately 5 miles on US-35 to Woodman Drive exit, then turn left onto Woodman Drive. Travel on Woodman for approximately 1.5 miles, turning right at the fourth light at Airway Drive. Travel down the road staying on the left side of the road; turn left at light to the Spinning Road Gate.
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM THE SOUTH
- Those coming from the south on I-75 should merge onto I-675 North (exit 43). Travel to US-35 West towards Dayton. Take the Woodman Drive exit, then turn right onto Woodman Drive. Travel on Woodman for approximately 1.5 miles, turning right at the fourth light at Airway Drive. Travel down the road staying on the left side of the road; turn left at light to the Spinning Road Gate.
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM EAST AND WEST ON STATE ROUTE 35
- Travelers from 35 (east or west) take the Woodman Drive exit. From the east, turn right onto Woodman Drive; from the west, turn left. Travel on Woodman for approximately 1.5 miles, turning right at the fourth light at Airway Drive. Travel down the road staying on the left side of the road; turn left at light to the Spinning Road Gate.
RACE DAY TRAVELERS FROM ERVIN J. NUTTER CENTER
- Exit Nutter Center at Col Glenn Hwy. Turn right onto Col Glenn Hwy and follow to Wright Brothers Pkwy (Woodman Drive) and turn right. Follow Wright Brothers Pkwy (Woodman Drive) to the first exit (Springfield Street) and turn right onto Springfield Street and follow to Museum Gate or next entry point Gate 1B. Both are on your right.
Hydration Stations and Medical Support
Hydration stations will be positioned along the course at regular intervals. All medical stations will have volunteer medical personnel on hand to provide basic first aid assistance to runners.
BIB NUMBER REQUIREMENTS
- All registered runners will receive a bib number that must be worn on race day. If you are not wearing your bib during the race, you will be considered a bandit runner and will be escorted off the course.
- The bib must be visible and worn on the front outside of all clothing during the entire race.
- Please fill in the necessary medical and emergency contact information on the back of the bib number. Use a pen or waterproof marker.
- Do not alter the bib in any way.
- Bib numbers are non-transferable and must be worn by the registrant to whom they have been assigned.
- All registrants will receive a chip that must be worn on the shoe in order to be timed. The chip needs to be attached to your shoe; otherwise, the timing mats will not be able to record the time.
- Chip times will be used for your official running time and on your certificate of race completion.
- Participants who own their own Champion Chip must provide this information when registering and then verify at packet pickup.
- Fasten the chip with the strip provided with the chip.
- Chip is non-transferable and must be worn only by the participant to whom it is assigned.
- Do not lose the chip. A $35 replacement fee will be charged to any participant who fails to return the chip at the finish line. A volunteer will offer to help you remove the chip at the finish line.
Awards for team winners will be based on gun time.
- Military Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Men's Open 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Women's Open 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Master Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Coed Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- ROTC Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Collegiate Team 1st, 2nd & 3rd