The Care that you Need...by People that you Trust.
J.Thomas Russell DDS
1030 Xenia Avenue,Yellow Springs, Ohio
Call: (937) 767-7731
How to Find the Right Dentist for You
Tooth pain is the number one reason for hospital emergency room visits,
Dental pain can be excruciating. It interrupts sleep, makes people irritable, and interferes with regular attendance and performance at work or school.
Limited access to dental care increases homeless people’s high risk for oral pathologies, often resulting in loss of function, self-esteem and well-being. Health Care for the Homeless projects are endeavoring to fill the gaps in dental services for this vulnerable, hard-to reach population through public/ private partnerships.
People with rotten or missing teeth look unhealthy, uneducated, unintelligent, and unreliable to
employers. They often have trouble eating and avoid social interactions, exacerbating the isolation of homelessness.
SELF-ESTEEM Eliminating dental disease in homeless persons often involves getting rid of their infected teeth, but promoting oral health and well-being involves much more than eliminating disease. Medical providers should consider the effects of dental problems on how people present to others. When you fix someone’s smile, you enhance their self-esteem.
Poor oral health complicates other heath challenges.
Diabetes and HIV/AIDS are among the chronic conditions frequently seen in homeless patients that exacerbate oral disease. People with diabetes don’t heal well and are three times more likely to have periodontal disease than persons with normal blood sugar levels.
New Teeth can mean a New Life
When asked what would most improve his life, a homeless patient answered, ‘Dentures.’ Getting dentures ramatically improved his self-confidence and his attitude toward his health. He has since cut down on smoking, communicates easily with others, and can eat nuts, the food he missed most when he didn’t have teeth.
THE COMPLETE LIST OF US DENTAL SCHOOLS THAT PROVIDE CLINICAL DENTAL SERVICES
- Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
- University of California Los Angeles School of Dentistry
- University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry
- University of Southern California School of Dentistry
- University of the Pacific School of Dentistry
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Dentistry
- Southrn Illinois University School of dental Medicine
- Boston University School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center School of Dental and Oral Surgery
- New York University College of Dentistry
- School of Dental Medicine, SUNY at Stony Brook
- University at Buffalo School of Dentistry
- University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry
- University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry
- Kornberg School of Dentistry at Temple University
- University of Pittsburgh Dental School
- Baylor College of Dentistry
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- University of Texas - Houston Dental Branch