The Care that you Need...by People that you Trust.
J.Thomas Russell DDS
1030 Xenia Avenue,Yellow Springs, Ohio
Call: (937) 767-7731
How to Find the Right Dentist for You
Sunday, November 22, 2009
For the last two months the number one search term entered by the readers of The Soft Landing has been “toothbrush,” so we set out to locate BPA, PVC and Phthalate-free toothbrushes for the whole family. We were pleasantly surprised in many cases, and of course disappointed at the same time by the number of companies that wouldn’t even respond.
Here’s a preliminary list to get you brushing in non-toxic style! We found that most toothbrushes are made from polypropylene (#5) and nylon (for the bristles). We’ll continue adding to the list as we learn about more options.
* Preserve Jr. and Adult (made from 100% recycled plastic, including Stonyfield Farm® yogurt cups)
* MAM Teach Me Toothbrush Set
* RazBaby (made from 100% silicone)
* Nuby 3 piece set
* Kushies Baby Banana Brush
* Baby Buddy – Baby’s 1st Toothbrush (made from 100% silicone)
* Smile Brite (Bunnies and Child’s First)
* Kent Toothbrushes (all)
SafeMama found the following options as well:
* Oral B: carries a bevy of children’s toothbrushes, and we were pleased to find that ALL children’s toothbrushes are made with polypropylene (#5) plastic.
* American Red Cross Toddler Toothbrush 2 Pack: Polypropylene #5 (outer) TPA Krayton (inner) and have nylon bristles
* Infant to Toddler Oral Care Kit: Polypropylene #5 with nylon bristles; Infant Finger Brush: Silicone
@ BPA exposures...the amts released from dental sources would represent ~ 0.01% of your concern, the remainder is from sources such as restaurants.The levels in canned tomato sauce and canned vegetables are VERY HIGH...in the resin linings of metal cans.